Well, after all my happy “my macarons have feet, and look like macarons!” excitement the other day, I made a batch today that was mostly made of fail.
They still taste lovely, but don’t look especially pretty.
I think the problem is that I halved the recipe. I didn’t have enough almonds for a full recipe, so thought I’d give it a go. When I scooped the meringue out of the bowl, there was lots of crystalised sugar stuck to the bottom, so I think the sugar was cooling too quickly to combine properly with the beaten egg whites.
So, I’ll eat my macarongs, chalk this up to experience, and make another, full, batch at the weekend.